Sunday, February 26

Track a Tiger - Woke Up Early the Day I Died

Just as I am struggling through EZArchive's obvious hatred for yours truly, an e-mail from Future Appletree Records has come to brighten my day. They sent along three tracks from the forthcoming release by Chicago-based Track a Tiger, titled Woke Up Early the Day I Died. It comes out this Tuesday, Feb. 28. Track a Tiger's mastermind of sorts is Jim Vallet (formerly of Head Candy), its primary songwriter and vocalist. If I had to categorize the band, I suppose I'd label it a sort of experimental folk/pop act along the lines of older Sufjan or Heypenny. Of the tracks they sent along, I certainly have favorites. The upbeat cadence of "Glad to Be Scattered" is right up my alley, although "Seashaken Heart" strikes me as a "better" song in terms of songwriting and musicianship. The slower "Sound as Ever" sounds like it could have been an outtake from last year's In the Reins. While the latter didn't retain my attention like the other two tracks, I'll fully admit that melancholy music rarely keeps me interested for very long. I have to say though, it's grabbing me more with each repeated listen. Your mileage may vary. I'd also like to note the variety of instrumentation that Vallet, et al., employ on this sampling of tracks -- on just those available here there are strings, banjo, keys, and female vox along with the Vallet's hushed lead vocal. Here are the aforementioned tracks:

Track a Tiger - Glad to Be Scattered
Track a Tiger - Seashaken Heart
Track a Tiger - Sound as Ever

Their bio
indicates that the studio version of Track a Tiger has evolved into a steady lineup and is set to hit the road in the near future. You can also stream an additional track on their MySpace page. Woke Up Early the Day I Died is available from Future Appletree. Also, I also feel the need to mention that their lone female member, Alisa Jo Monnier, is the heat. I'll behave now.

Elsewhere...

Marathon Packs has live Guided by Voices video from '94.

GvB has info on the new Birdmonster and Bishop Allen releases.

Creative Loafing features Atlanta band The Roy Owens Jr.

The One-Man Star Wars show I saw today was a lot of fun. You can see a 5-minute clip on the guy's website.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Rich-
1) awesome. i'm glad you posted Track a Tiger, i'll probably wait a week now before i put anything about them up.
2) The Fray- you're pretty right about them being Coldplay lite. However, they've got a few good songs. Check out "Vienna" and "Trust Me". Let me know if you 're having trouble getting the tracks...I can help you out!

7:58 AM

 
Blogger MyExBestFriend said...

I haven't had a chance to check Track a Tiger - glad to hear you like them - I think I'll throw a link to this post tomorrow - I wasn't going to have time to do one and this will be a great place to send everyone.

10:40 AM

 
Blogger Au$10 said...

Hey Rich...did you get that email I sent you a week or so ago? Just saw your Man Man comment on YANP, and thought I'd check in again. Take it easy...

12:36 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Austin, check your Yahoo addy.

1:10 PM

 
Blogger phenom said...

Heypenny is better...

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Speaking of which, I've asked Heypenny about posting more material. No decision yet. I'm trying to respect the artist's wishes and not give away too much of the album.

9:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home