Monday, January 30

World of Wild Beards Incorporated

Might as well start off strong, eh? To celebrate my purchase today of Kim Cooper's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea book, I thought I'd post a lovely bit of Neutral Milk Hotel goodness. While Jeff Mangum dropped off the radar a couple years prior, he and fellow Elephant 6 popster Laura Carter turned up for a one-off gig in New Zealand in 2001. Believed to be Jeff Mangum's only show since NYE '98, the gig is captured here in a terrific soundboard recording. Interestingly, the band was billed as World of Wild Beards Incorporated rather than as Neutral Milk Hotel -- Jeff explains why during the show. It's a unique moment for perhaps the most celebrated of the Elephant 6 artists.


World of Wild Beards Incorporated (Neutral Milk Hotel)
February 4, 2001
King's Arms
Auckland, New Zealand

01 - Two-Headed Boy
02 - I Love How You Love Me [Phil Spector cover]
03 - Song Against Sex
04 - King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1
05 - King of Carrot Flowers Pts. 2 & 3
06 - Everything Is
07 - Gardenhead - Leave Me Alone
08 - Ghost
09 - Oh Comely
10 - Engine
11 - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
12 - World of Wild Beards Inc. explanation
13 - Mother
[John Lennon cover]

Laura Carter (NMH, Elf Power) and Chris Knox (Tall Dwarfs) join Jeff on various tracks.

You can read a bunch more about the show here. Enjoy!

11 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Hell yes I'm a Cubs fan! I'm originally a native of northern Indiana. Ryne Sandberg is my god.

4:16 AM

 
Blogger KJ said...

Glad to be the 18th visitor to your fine establishment. And you already have people linking to you, powerful friends, eh? Oh and as another Chicagoland inhabiter, the Cubs are great... but go Bears.

8:44 AM

 
Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

ive had a copy of this show for a while now and i have loved it the whole time.

ill be interested in seeing what you've got in store for us...

10:05 AM

 
Blogger Erik said...

do you have a link to a non-mp3 source recording of this show?

12:11 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I don't have a link to one -- I do have the CDR that I ripped the mp3's from, but I can't vouch for its lineage.

12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy crap, what a superb set. thanks so much for this! great quality and everything. very interesting.

welcome to the mp3blog universe too :)

1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't play the set but, GO CUBBIES!!!

7:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this Jeff Mangum recording before; I am so thankful I stopped by (literally I'm grinning ear to ear as I hear his voice). :D

7:26 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Sorry to anyone who had trouble with the download -- ezarchive has been effing up a bit today. Grrr.

8:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey wow I was at that gig in my homeland. I've still got the gig poster on my wall. Thanks so much for the recording.

6:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, these songs are dead, so here's a link to the whole album,

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ghv3xv

password, if you need it is

bsidesrus.blogspot.com

5:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home