Monday, February 13

My birthday and Silver Jews

I'll be darned. It's my birthday. Kinda snuck up on me this year. While I'm working on something cool for a post early this week, odds are it won't be today. I'll be busy all day and then probably out celebrating my ever-advancing age in the evening. Woohoo.

For the time being, I'll just offer a little preview of the upcoming Silver Jews shows....

Of all the good music coming to the local area soon, the shows I'm anticipating the most are probably the Silver Jews gigs on 3/10 and 3/11 in Athens and ATL. In fact, the 3/11 show at The EARL sold out about two months in advance. Wow. Thank goodness I bought a ticket when they went on sale. I have no idea if any tix are left for the show at the 40 Watt.

For those who are unaware, this is David Berman and co.'s first tour after more than a decade of releases. As you can imagine, I was pleased as punch to learn the first two shows of the tour would be right here in my backyard. Last month (1/26) we got the first show of Bob Pollard's tour, and now we get the first two Silver Jews shows. We're so effing badass. To me these first shows provide an element of mystery and curiosity. Perhaps it's a result of Berman's long-time reluctance to tour, but there's an exciting uncertainty in my mind about how the songs will sound live and whether the band will be tight and comfortable by the time they grace us with their presence. It doesn't hurt that both venues are rather intimate, particularly here in Atlanta.

Anyhow, for the uninitiated, here are some tracks to check out (with an emphasis on recent material from Tanglewood Numbers):

audio:
Silver Jews - I'm Getting Back Into Getting Back Into You
Silver Jews - Tennessee (LINK REMOVED)
Silver Jews - Animal Shapes (LINK REMOVED)
Silver Jews - Pet Politics (LINK REMOVED)

videos:
Silver Jews - Punks in the Beerlight (.mov)
Silver Jews - How Can I Love You If You Won't Lie Down (.mov)

Gotta love that Planet of the Apes theme in the "Punks in the Beerlight" video. Awesome.
You can order Silver Jews albums from Drag City or Amazon.

For more Silver Jews info and media, visit The Corduroy Suit fansite. Complete tourdates are available at Tiny Mix Tapes.


On an unrelated note, I bought Bonnaroo tickets. The lineup was just too good to resist. Anybody else going?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Bday Rich!! Have a great one!

9:27 AM

 
Blogger Paulie said...

Happy birthday.

I was too slow to get in on the Silver Jews tix, and too old and not hippie enough to enjoy Bonnaroo. Enjoy both.

10:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home