Tuesday, June 13

Flaming Lips - "War Pigs" (live 5-21-2006)

If you were reading here a few weeks ago, you saw me rave a bit about how great the Flaming Lips were at Atlanta's Centennial Park on May 21. I'd seen them a few times before, but the scope of their show at a large festival was almost overwhelming. I've since gotten a recording of the whole show, but what I'd like to share today is the encore that was a great end to the night -- the Lips' cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs." I hadn't seen the Langerado setlist yet at the time, so it was a surprise to me.

The Flaming Lips - War Pigs [Black Sabbath cover; live 5-21-2006; Centennial Park, Atlanta, GA]

For the .flac junkies, the full show is available at dimeadozen.org.


Elsewhere...

I'm loving the Boy Least Likely To cover of George Michael's "Faith." The breakdown at about the 2:00 mark is awesome. Grab it at You Ain't No Picasso.

Cubs fans note that Rick Sutcliffe will be singing "Take Me out to the Ballgame" at tomorrow's game at Wrigley. Here's hoping he comes up and makes a drunken spectacle of himself again. Also note that 22 years ago today the Cubbies acquired Sutcliffe from the Cleveland Indians before he went 16-1 the remainder of the season, won the Cy Young Award, and nearly led the Cubs to the World Series. Thanks, Red. You big lush.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

I second this. Grand Palace rules.

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Futureheads & French Kicks... June 26. Hmm. I remember considering this but something else was the same day. I'd have to look to figure out what it was. Not immediately coming to mind. Ugh.

Short answer: maybe.

3:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich - You going to the VHS or Beta DJ set Saturday? You can dance with all the ATL hipsters! Just kidding. The VHS or Beta guys are super cool dudes and I will be there. You going, though?

4:27 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Thanks for war pigs! The show was really fantastic!

6:21 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Nope. I'm seeing Magic Numbers, Gomez, Elvis Costello, Beck, Radiohead, and some other no-name bands on Saturday. :)

6:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Bonnaroo. Gotta joke for you:

What's orange and yellow and looks good on hippies?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
FIRE!

9:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home