Friday, August 4

Swim Party - Sewing and Blood EP

There must be some very good things going on in San Diego right now. You should all know about Kite Flying Society by now, and I've also been impressed by what I've heard of San Diego artists Lindsey Yung and Bushwalla. Yet another rising San Diego band I've been able to check out (despite my east coast base) is an impressive quartet known as Swim Party.

Swim Party was kind enough to send me their current EP, and though it's only 5 tracks long it definitely leaves me wanting to hear more. I'm particularly struck by the diversity of the tracks -- I can certainly appreciate a band that sounds like pacific northwest indie rock one track and some sort of post-punk/pop hybrid the next.

I'm not sure who plays what in the band, but it's worth noting that among their primary instruments is a violin. It may not sound that significant, but it adds a really unique element to their sound, particularly when they wander into math-rock territory. Can you tell I like this EP? Check out a few tracks for yourself:

Swim Party - Twenty-Five
Swim Party - Sunlight & Sprawl
Swim Party - Simplest Ways

I'm told the EP's are only $5, and you can get one by contacting the band via their MySpace page or official site. If I didn't already have one, I'd definitely order one right now. Especially since I've seen in person how cool they are. The packaging for the EP is hand-made and obviously took some TLC.

Whatever it is that's going on in San Diego, keep it up. I'll be looking forward to the Swim Party full-length whenever it emerges.

By the way, while you're at it... both Swim Party and Kite Flying Society are nominated for San Diego Music Awards. If you wanna lend 'em some support, you can go here to vote.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Swim Party! Tanx fer postin' this.

12:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This band is amazing!

3:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this band! thanks for reviewing them!

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Glad people are into this. Feel free to spread the word about these guys. I don't think they've really made a dent yet outside of San Diego.

4:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they are a really awesome band and I am glad I am not the only one who thinks so!

5:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home