Friday, August 1

Art Brut frontman Eddie Argos now comics columnist for 'PLAYBACK:stl'

Synergy, baby. I had to post this.

Art Brut frontman Eddie Argos has taken on a new gig. Along with his day job as a rock star, he now authors a column titled "Pow! To the People" for St. Louis-based entertainment 'zine PLAYBACK:stl. Two columns have appeared so far, and Argos has revealed himself to hate Mark Millar's Wanted, love Booster Gold, enjoy Buffy spinoff Angel, and even take a liking to Ed Brubaker's Captain America (sort of). He's a self-professed DC loyalist rather than a Marvel zombie, but I'll forgive him for that.


On DC's Booster Gold, from July 18:

The most recent issue I enjoyed so much, I've been carrying it around with me since I read it, just like when I was twelve. Booster travels so far into the future, the issue is numbered 1,000,000. When there, he meets Peter Platinum, a fraudulent superhero who has based his career on Booster. When Booster eventually gets home, this makes him decide to pack it all in and give up, as he'd rather give up than have Peter Platinum be his sole legacy. He changes his mind after speaking to Batman; it's the proudest I've been of my family friend yet. A lot more happens, but I'm keeping "schtum" as everybody should read this series from beginning to end and I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't.



On Marvel's Captain America, from August 1 (today):

The book I was reading led up to -- and a bit beyond -- Captain America being assassinated, it got loads better after he was killed. Much in the same way as Roger Daltrey is the least interesting person in the band he fronts (The Who), Captain America is by far the least interesting character in the book that carries his name. All through the books, I was infinitely more interested in Bucky/The Winter Soldier, Sharon Carter, Nick Fury, and even The Red Skull than I was with Captain America.

Nice to see the worlds of music and comics collide!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home