Saturday, October 25

Elvis Costello - "Whole Wide World" (Wreckless Eric cover)

This may be irrefutable evidence that I'm a complete wuss, but I'm gonna go there anyway. One of my favorite recent moments in film was the charming scene in Stranger Than Fiction (2006) when awkward IRS auditor Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) plays Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World" in the loft of his crush Ana Pascal (Maggie Gyllenhaal). It still makes me smile, and it had the added bonus of stoking my interest in Wreckless Eric's catalog.



Now, reader Jon W. has been kind enough to send along a live cover of the song by none other than Elvis Costello & The Attractions from back in 1977. It's pretty loyal to the original, but is distinctly Elvis. I'm afraid this may be on 'repeat' all weekend.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Whole Wide World [Wreckless Eric cover; 10-22-1977]

Thanks Jon!

4 Comments:

Blogger Alex Adan said...

I had to read the screenplay for Stranger Than Fiction for a class and learned that they originally intended for him to sing the song "Punk Rock Girl" by The Dead Milkmen. I guess they changed it for rights issues or maybe it was too fast or something.

2:52 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I did not know that. It is quite a bit faster, and doesn't have the same vibe. I could imagine Ferrell singing it in a similar way though.

"Punk Rock Girl" at Google Video.

3:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Whole Wide World has only two chords. An ideal song for someone who is just learning to play guitar, like Ferrell's character.

12:05 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Good thought, anon. Thanks!

12:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home