Frank Zappa - Remington Electric Razor
Frank Zappa is one of the most interesting figures in rock history. He was a master guitarist, witty and prolific songwriter, and social gadfly. FZ was also one of the most bootlegged artists of his era. This was in large part a result of his constant touring and tremendous live show. Today I'm offering what I understand is a rare bootleg of Zappa live material, primarily from the late 1970s, titled Remington Electric Razor.
An interesting aspect of this bootleg is that the material is of pristine quality, and was reportedly mixed by FZ and leaked by a band member. Its origins are a bit of a mystery, but the content's sound is on a par with some Zappa live releases. The most famous component of this recording is the title track -- a commercial for Remington electric razors cut by FZ and Linda Ronstadt (yes, seriously) in the late 1960s. Yes, it's as strange as it seems. "Cleans you, thrills you, may even keep you from getting busted!"
Frank Zappa - Remington Electric Razor (bootleg)
2. Jumbo, Go Away [live 3-31-1979]
3. Moe's Vacation [live 9-21-1978]
4. The Black Page #2 [live 9-21-1978]
5. Dong Work for Yuda [live 2-1977]
6. Tricky Dicky ["Dickie's Such an Asshole"]
7. Nite Owl [live 12-11-1980]
8. My Name is Fritz
9. Interview ("What's the Name of Your Group?") [200 Motels outtake]
10. I Can't Get Me No Satisfaction [live 10-15-1978]
11. Remington Electric Razor [commercial; late 1960s; with Linda Ronstadt]
A detailed discussion of this bootleg can be found here about halfway down the page.
For more on FZ, check out Zappa.com or Wikipedia.
Does anybody compare to Zappa these days? It's a damn shame he left us so soon.