Friday, December 15

Steaming pile alert

I usually refrain from commenting when tripe like this hits my inbox, but I can't resist.

So, the Grammy Awards are having a contest. They're allowing unsigned artists to submit a 60-second video of themselves performing a song, and the winner gets to perform on the actual Grammys telecast. That could be cool, huh? Like, Tin Cup Prophette or somebody on the Grammys? Well, that's not what's at stake. The winner will not just perform, but perform "with current multi-GRAMMY nominee Justin Timberlake." I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

All artists are required to sing a cappella for their entry, and must sing one of the following Grammy-winning songs selected by Justin Timberlake:

o "If I Ain't Got You" (originally performed by Alicia Keys)
o
"Breathe" (originally performed by Faith Hill)
o
"Come To My Window" (originally performed by Melissa Etheridge)
o
"What's Love Got To Do With It" (originally performed by Tina Turner)
o
"Dance With My Father" (originally performed by Luther Vandross)
o
"Cry Me A River" (originally performed by Justin Timberlake)
o
"Respect" (originally performed by Aretha Franklin)
o
"I Wanna Dance With Somebody" (originally performed by Whitney Houston)
o
"Vision of Love" (originally performed by Mariah Carey)


In other words, the same playlist (with apologies to Aretha) that they'd probably blast at high volume into a house full of religious fanatics (or hipsters, I guess) with hostages and an armory.

So, no solo performance by the artist, no original music is welcome, they don't give a shit about bands, and they're only looking for pure singers who are willing to sing songs we're either sick of or that suck in the first place. Way to go, Grammys! No wonder you're effing irrelevant these days.

4 Comments:

Blogger aa said...

douchebags.

sorry, but honestly that's just ridiculous.

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Paul said...

Don't hate on Justin Timberlake! hahaha

This is a terrible idea btw.

3:05 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I wish I could find video of him as the singing/dancing guy in the egg costume on SNL. I think that skit may be his greatest work.

3:10 PM

 
Blogger AmyM said...

They've been irrelevant for a loonnggtime...

1:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home