Saturday, August 11

Popfest, exhaustion, and the triumph of Black Kids

How do I spell exhaustion?

P-O-P-F-E-S-T.

Athens Popfest is drawing to a close, with only tonight's performances at 40 Watt to go. How I Became the Bomb and Velcro Stars were quite good on Thursday night, and Friday saw a rare and fun set from Marbles at Little Kings. The lineup at 40 Watt last night was absolutely killer -- highlights for me were Ideal Free Distribution, Thee American Revolution, The Postmarks, Tullycraft, Casper & the Cookies, and Circulatory System. IFD and Thee American Revolution were better than I could have hoped, and seeing Tullycraft play "8 Great Ways" and "Wild Bikini" in person was a treat. What a night...

Velcro Stars - Brand New
How I Became the Bomb - Secret Identity
Ideal Free Distribution - Apples and Oranges
Tullycraft - 8 Great Ways
Tullycraft - Wild Bikini

Today's day shows at Little Kings were highlighted (for me) by a great set from Black Kids, who now have a whole new legion of fans in Athens, GA.



Black Kids are from Jacksonville, Florida, and play an energetic sort of punk-tinged dance rock. Think something like an '80s synth-rock band with occasional doo-wop harmonies and wit to spare. They have their moody moments, but they're too tongue-in-cheek to lump them with the mope-rock crowd. They gave away copies of their EP, so here are a few tracks:

Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You
Black Kids - Hurricane Jane
Black Kids - I Wanna Be Your Limousine

The night ahead includes Fishboy, Bunnygrunt, Cars Can Be Blue, Dark Meat, Elekibass, and Daniel Johnston. Here's hoping I don't pass out before it's all over.

7 Comments:

Blogger AmyM said...

It sounds like you're adapting to Athens pretty well!

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Erick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:39 PM

 
Blogger Erick said...

Had to delete the other comment...
You're right on with the Black Kids statement. They owned the stage. The EP I received didn't come near capturing the experience of seeing them live.

5:24 PM

 
Blogger Mr Rossy said...

wow, these guys are seriously amazing, i'm in love with em !!! Thanks for the tip.

11:45 AM

 
Blogger Jeff said...

I LOVED Black Kids at PopFest. One of my favorite acts, next to How I Became the Bomb, Tullycraft, and naturally the E6'ers. Their EP is really quite good.

10:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rich,

any idea if your friend or sloan taped our show? i'd love to have a copy.

thanks!
tony
(the IFD)

4:26 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Tony, I'm almost sure that Lance taped the IFD set. If you write me privately I'll give you his email address.

4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home