Thursday, August 9

Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies



Reporting in from Athens Popfest, where the daytime festivities at Little Kings are over. Of what I saw, the winner of the day was Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies. They got mad blog love about six weeks ago, and I can see why. They're a North Carolina pop outfit with a throwback sound, and I'm looking forward to their forthcoming EP. For now, a sample courtesy of the band:

Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies - Can You Dig It

I also met Robert Schneider (of Apples in Stereo, Marbles, Ulysses, Thee American Revolution, Orchestra Fantastique) and his wife Marci (of Ideal Free Distribution). They were coming out of The Grit when we were going in for lunch. Go figure.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich,

I had some trouble streaming this one too, with a great connection. Go figure.

Emily R. of political science fame.

11:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food may be a little off topic for this blog but here goes anyway....

What are some of your favorite restaurants in Athens (aside from The Grit)? I need some better choices when I go to Athens next.

12:29 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Working OK on my end, Em. ?

Re: food, let me get back to you. I've lived in Athens for all of two weeks.

12:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that VVLL came out on top at the day events. They've got a great sound and it's constantly being refined and improved upon show after show.

Photo note: Shot a Chapel Hill's Local 506 by Robb Oliver.

1:27 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Thx for the photo info, Robb. I snagged it via their Myspace, I believe.

1:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw them (5-17-08) at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, opening for Southern Culture on the Skids. I've not had so much fun at a show in a long time. The musicianship was excellent and the sound was perfect. Even though they had a stand-in bass player, the band was tight. The mini-skirts were tight, too and nice to see. During the SCOTS set, the girls came out to feed bannana pudding to the crowd. Yummy!
Matt-fu

1:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home