Friday, October 26

The 63 Crayons, The Selmanaires, The Coathangers 10/25 at Caledonia Lounge

Lots of music happenings last night in Athens -- The Hold Steady and Art Brut were at 40 Watt, Dark Meat played at Secret Squirrel, and Caledonia Lounge hosted The 63 Crayons, The Selmanaires, and The Coathangers. I chose to attend the latter, as I'm a fan of all three bands. The show was fun, and a nice way to take advantage of a rare Friday off work. Huzzah for fall break!


Julia Kugel of The Coathangers


The Coathangers' Julia Kugel, Stephanie Luke, and Meredith Franco


Tommy Chung and Herb Harris of The Selmanaires


The Selmanaires setlist, October 25


Charlie Johnston and Derek Almstead of The 63 Crayons


The 63 Crayons' Ben Davis

I did tape the show, but have some writing to do before I can fiddle with it. The 63 Crayons and The Selmanaires were hot stuff as usual, but I want to give special attention to The Coathangers -- last night was the first show of their tour, on which they'll be hitting lots of markets east of the Mississippi River. They play tonight in Chapel Hill before hitting the northeast, midwest, and returning to the South. The dates are on their Myspace.

The 63 Crayons - Revolution Fight Song
The 63 Crayons - It's About Time
The Coathangers - Parking Lot
The Selmanaires - Reason and Chance

The Selmanaires next play November 1 at The EARL in Atlanta, when they'll share the stage with Pylon (!!!) and New Sound of Numbers.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Man I love the Athens show scene and lucky you to have today off! :) Enjoy.

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coathangers are the best thing to come out of Atlanta since the Black Lips. Great album, better live!

2:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Best thing to come out of Atlanta since the Black Lips"? Really? I wonder if the above Christopher is the same Christopher that dates Bebe Coathanger. Hmmm... I mean, the girls are sweet and they're good in their own way, but they're not exactly the best thing of any town from any time.

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

For real. Have you not heard Cartel?

/snark

4:58 PM

 
Blogger Leah [Not Basic] said...

I don't know this Elaine person, but I like her. A lot.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Ha! I knew you would. ;)

4:51 PM

 
Blogger jonder said...

I am really looking forward to the Pylon show tomorrow night, in part because of all the great things you've written about the Selmanaires. It will be my first time seeing them.

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home