Sunday, January 6

Cap, Broadway, and indignity averted

My favorite current comic is Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting's Captain America series. I love the writing, art, tone, cast, story, the whole works. I also adored Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's quite different Ultimate Captain America from a few years back. That's why when I stumbled across this, I was glad to find out it never came to fruition:

From The Avengers #265 (1986)

His "very special friend"? Yikes. Didn't Different Strokes [YouTube] warn us against stuff like that?

I mean, the guy already had to suffer the indignity of a campy 1940s serial (in which he was a vigilante district attorney - WTF?), a lackluster 1970s TV series, and a craptastic straight-to-video movie in the early 1990s. Good grief, Marvel. Way to treat the guy who punched Hitler in the face! Not that I'm not still hoping for a new Cap film soon...

Hat tip to Comics Should be Good and Retrojunk.

Bonus mp3: The Radiators - On Broadway [live 5-1-1997]

---------------------------------------------------

Ever wondered who's the top Jewish superhero? It ain't the Hebrew Hammer.


For the Spider-Man fans, there's been some casting news on the forthcoming Broadway musical about your friendly neighborhood wall-crawler. Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood as Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson? Maybe. It already has music by Bono and The Edge. Here's hoping Nathan Lane is Aunt May.

Also... Batdance!

4 Comments:

Blogger The Blot said...

I love the current Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting's Captain America series too. Its amazing how good a book its been considering the title character has been dead for almost a year. If you want to find out more about the Captain America Broadway musical, you should check out Comic Book Resources' Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed topic on it here.

11:59 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I link to it in the post. :)

12:43 PM

 
Blogger The Blot said...

Oops! My bad...I like to think the musical would have been like a Bruce Campbell movie with Bruce singing and dancing while beating up Nazis troopers. Unfortunately it probably would have been more like the upcoming Spider-Man Broadway adaptation and take itself way too seriously.

I love reading the blog, can’t find too many out there that combine two of my favorite things: music and comics.

6:30 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Thanks! Ya, that musical seems like a potential train wreck. Now we'll see whether MJ and Peter are married in the Spidey musical, I guess. Meh.

Glad you dig the format around here. I try not to get as deep into comics stuff as is tempting, as I assume my audience is here more for the music stuff.

By the way, you'd probably like the Supervillain blog I link to in the sidebar. He does music and comics stuff too.

6:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home