Tuesday, June 6

King Missile

Remember back when the parents of America were completely freaked out by Beavis & Butt-Head? Many people seemed convinced that the show would cause a rash of arson, animal abuse, and all-around stupidity. In retrospect, its lasting legacy appears to be introducing many members of my generation to bands they might not have otherwise seen unless they stayed up to watch 120 Minutes.

One of the many bands I first learned of on that show was King Missile. They are (were?) "an avant-garde band" (per Wikipedia, I guess that fits) led by John S. Hall that generally played music rooted in quirky spoken-word and storytelling over the top of sparse instrumentation. The band is apparently still kickin' it in a different form, now formally known as King Missile III (as in, "the third"). Regardless, today I'm offering up the video for "Detachable Penis" that was featured on Beavis & Butt-Head (thanks to YouTube) as well as some of my favorite other King Missile tracks.


And for your ears to take in...

King Missile - Detachable Penis
King Missile - Sensitive Artist
King Missile - Cheesecake Truck
King Missile - Jesus Was Way Cool

Some fun stuff, no?

Buy King Missile albums from Amazon. You can also befriend them on MySpace.

Thanks, Mike Judge. You bunghole.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I had totally forgotten about King Missile! Thanks!
And hey, what is it with us southerners being into the Cubs? I'm from NC and I've been a lifelong fan, which sucks even more than usual lately :(
Enjoy your blog - Cheers!

12:52 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

You're quite welcome.

I'm actually from the midwest. Just been living here for a few years. That explains my loyalties. ;)

12:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home