Thursday, May 18

Thursday night (cont.) / Corndogorama!

Looks like I won't have time to do a proper post on Mark Kozelek, but our friend Greg from Captain's Dead has come through in the clutch. He's posted a Kozelek show from February 2005 in three installments. Go there to download it.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Part 3 has a bonus pic of Annie Hardy from Giant Drag lookin' downright crush-worthy.

UPDATE, 5/18, 2:20 PM: Captain's Dead has the final installment of the show up now!

Part 4

In addition to the happenings at The EARL and Variety Playhouse tonight, I completely overlooked the fact that Pinback is playing at The Roxy this evening. Yeesh.

While I'm yammering about local events, I wanted to note that The EARL has released the lineup for the annual Corndogorama in June, and it looks awesome. See for yourself:

Thu - June 22, 2006 - 9:30pm, $10/$12
Corndogorama opening party:
Band of Horses w/ Mt. Egypt & The Can't See

Fri - June 23, 2006 - 6:00pm, $5
Main stage:
The Artist Formerly Known as League of Evil (performing Prince's "Purple Rain")
Snowden, I am the World Trade Center, The Close, Luigi, Psychic Hearts, The Orphins, Cassavetes, Elevado
Side stage:
Shock Cinema, Morishi Dolls, The Blue Hour

Sat - June 24, 2006 - 12:00pm, $5
Main stage:
The Dickens, Anna Kramer, Man Man, Deerhunter, Dropsonic, The Hiss, Day Mars Ray, Tiger! Tiger!, Human Television, Hot Young Priest, The Preakness, The Silent Kids, Moresight, Jetty
Side stage:
Thee Crucials, The Sweet Loves, The Lovely Feathers, Hubcap City

Sun - June 25, 2006 - 4:00pm, $5
Main stage:
The Carbonas, Gentlemen Jesse & His Men, Rizzudo, The Liverhearts, Heir Apparent, The Despised, The Jupiter Watts, Hell Mach 4
Side stage:
Lay Down Mains, Brass Castle, Untied States

The short, short sets for some of the bands border on criminal but I'll be happy to see Man Man, The Lovely Feathers, and Band of Horses alongside a bunch of our best local acts. Tix are available now via the website of The EARL. Click on the monkey.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thanks rich and btw the 4th installment should be posted shortly. btw, if you see some guy with a shitty old white sox hat and some really bad facial hair, odds are thats me.

9:06 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

This is normally where I'd make a cheeky comment about the Sox hat, but I can't bring myself to do it right now. Sigh.

9:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and this is where i would normally say look at the standings, or something lame like that but i wont cause its really not fair.

9:20 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Don't I know it. Ugh.

9:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a crime that All the Saints aren't on the lineup.

1:37 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Could they still be added? There are a few TBA slots on the schedule. Oddly enough, one of them is the headliner for Sunday. That's strange.

2:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give Dave a call tonight and see if they can squeeze in. I don't know if you've seen them Rich, but they're headlining the EARL June 1st. You should come and bring your mics. I can probably get you on the list. Let me know.

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I haven't seen them yet. Actually, I think the name turned me off before b/c of that British girl group called All Saints. Funny that. But I bet I can make it down on 6/1 after Hard Day's Night @ the park. If they're headlining they won't be on until 11:30-12:00 anyway.

By the way, I can't find their MySpace page now. What's the URL?

3:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.myspace.com/allthesaints
www.allthesaints.org

These songs are a horrible representation of their sound, though. 'Hard Lung' was recorded in their basement before a six-month break from live shows. Their sound developed quite a bit during that break, as they practiced every night. 'Jesus' is a better idea of what they're like, but you should just see them live to get a true impression. They also love to change sections and tempos of songs live to keep things fresh. If you like Dead Meadow, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, or early Floyd, I'm sure you will find something of interest.

3:53 PM

 
Blogger The Game said...

Interview with David Barclay the Diskettes that you posted a cover of a few months ago here: http://greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com/2006/05/interview-with-david-barclay-of.html

7:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I think The Sweet Loves is the new band of Adam and Shannon from Anna Kramer.

1:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about the Sweet Loves!
Amy

11:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home