Friday, July 14

Thom Yorke 4-16-2005 @ Trade Justice Rally & ATL weekend preview

Well, it seems that I just can't get enough Radiohead this week. I hope I'm not boring all of you with my music selections. I just keep coming into possession of more cool stuff by those lads, and I want to share. Cool? Cool.

Today we have what is actually a pretty widely circulated set, but one I haven't featured here before. Good enough for me. This is what I understand is a solo set by Thom Yorke on April 16, 2005, at a rally for trade justice in London.

A little bit of Googling makes it apparent that Thom felt his presence would boost the profile of the rally, and it did just that. Whatever the case, Thom took it upon himself to play a short set at the rally that included some rarities. Fortunately, somebody with taping gear was apparently on hand to get a pretty good audience recording out of the event. Note the police whistles you can hear a couple of times. Here it is for your Friday listening enjoyment (unless you grab it at a later date...):

Thom Yorke
April 16, 2005
Trade Justice Movement rally
London, England

01. intro
02. Last Flowers ('Til the Hospital)
03. House of Cards
04. Big Ideas *
05. No Surprises
06. The Reckoner


* a few seconds of cell phone interference/static at 2:35

Can I say how much more I like this stuff than I do The Eraser? There, I did it.

Now, as for what's going on in ATL this weekend...


It looks like the only show I'll be able to make this weekend is the Cassavetes CD release party at The EARL. I've been looking forward to the release of Funny Story this week since seeing them at Corndogorama. I dig their Constantines-meets-Wilco sound, and I'm eager to hear the album.

Cassavetes - An Ancient Mistake
Cassavetes - My Heart Your Beat

If you can't make the release party this weekend, Funny Story is now available online.


Other shows this weekend in Atlanta:

Fri 7/14
KillGordon, Tentonic, Pasadena @ The EARL
The Futurists @ Masquerade
Creve Coeur @ Vinyl

Sat 7/15
Tiger Bear Wolf @ Star Bar
Zoroaster @ Criminal Records (free in-store)
Zoroaster @ Drunken Unicorn (CD release party)
Chickens and Pigs, Hardly Darlings, Brad Jones @ Aurora Coffee, Virginia Highlands (free)
Indie hip-hop showcase of some sort (I guess) @ Masquerade
Trey Anastasio & Mike Gordon@ Masquerade Music Park

Hopefully I'll see some of you at The EARL!

3 Comments:

Blogger Paulie said...

I rarely sell CDs, but The Eraser maybe making the journey with me next time I head to Wax n Facts or Decatur CD.

9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I know, the Tiger Bear Wolf show is still on at Star Bar Saturday. I hear they're awesome live and Stylus gave their debut an A.

10:20 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Ah, forgot about that one. Didn't go look at Star Bar's listings either.

For anyone interested, there are some Tiger Bear Wolf mp3's up at Coke Machine Glow along with a very positive review.

10:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home