Wednesday, November 1

The Mountain Goats and Jennifer O'Connor coming to The EARL, Nov. 3


Indie stalwarts The Mountain Goats will be at The EARL on Friday, November 3. I bought tix for this one a while back, and after having to miss the Athens Popfest show nothing's gonna keep me away from The EARL that night. I'll assume most of my readers will be familiar with the band, but if you'd like more info on John Darnielle or The Mountain Goats you can visit their official site or Wikipedia.

To give you a taste of the live show, here are a few tracks from Mountain Goats performances (courtesy of archive.org).

Mountain Goats - Pet Politics [live 6-23-2005; Silver Jews cover]
Mountain Goats - Dinu Lipatti's Bones [live 6-23-2005; with John Vanderslice]
Mountain Goats - This Year [live 9-20-2006]
Mountain Goats - Cubs in Five [live 2-18-2004]
Mountain Goats - Two-Headed Boy [Neutral Milk Hotel cover; via themountaingoats.net]

From the current release, Get Lonely:

Mountain Goats - Woke Up New

Recordings of these full concerts and others are available via the Live Music Archive.

Remaining Mountain Goats tour dates can be found here. You can read a nice interview with John Darnielle at *sixeyes.

Tickets to the show at The EARL are available online. The opener is Jennifer O'Connor, who I believe actually got her start here in Atlanta. I haven't checked out much of her stuff yet, but if this track (courtesy of Matador Records) is any indication, I want to hear more:

Jennifer O'Connor - Exeter, Rhode Island

And I don't think I've ever even been to Rhode Island.

5 Comments:

Blogger Clark said...

I've been meaning to check out The Mountain Goats for ages and this was a most excellent introduction. Keep up the good work :)

2:07 PM

 
Blogger Matt Hayhurst said...

I saw both of them two weeks ago at Troika Music Festival in Durham, NC and they were awesome. You'll enjoy the show.

3:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer O'Connor is worth checking out.
I have to admit the album (the new-ish one on Matador) didn't make that much of an impression on me, but I liked it more after I heard her live (she played an in-store at Crim recently). She went to college at your school, and I think that's about when she started playing music.

6:45 PM

 
Blogger Sloan Simpson said...

I trust you'll get it taped? Won't be able to make it myself.

10:14 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I don't have my JB3 right now. I'll see about getting it back in time.

10:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home