Thursday, May 17

Light, heavy, and in between

The musical menu in ATL this week is a little lighter than it was a couple weeks ago (Arcade Fire, The National, Modest Mouse, Man Man, Spoon, etc. within 5 days!) but I'll still be getting out to see plenty of good stuff. On the agenda for the next several days...


Tonight (5/17), The Selmanaires take the stage at The EARL alongside Tussle. I just caught their live taping of a video project at Georgia State last week, but I have a hard time staying away when The Selmanaires are playing. As far as I'm concerned they are, as I've said before, the best rock band in Atlanta. I've also been fortunate enough to hear a couple of the songs they recently recorded up at Lake Fever Productions in Nashville and I can't wait until they're unleashed on the world. Cuz... damn.

The Selmanaires - Selmanaire RockThe Selmanaires - In the Direction of Yes

Saturday (5/19) is fairly loaded, but I will be wandering down to the Star Bar to see Nashville garage punk outfit The Clutters. I haven't seen these guys live since last summer's show with The Woggles in Nashville, and I've been dying to catch them again. They're noisy and rockin', and I've been quite pleased to see them get a lot of attention since the release of their current LP Don't Believe a Word. They'll be sharing the stage with Thee Crucials.

The Clutters - You'll Never Be Famous [from T&C]
The Clutters - 9999 (Ways to Hate Us) [from DBAW]


In a different genre altogether is Seattle-based songstress Laura Veirs. Likely due to her home base on the opposite coast, this will be my first opportunity to see Miss Veirs in person and I'm quite excited. She plays The EARL next Wednesday (5/23). Many of you know that I have a fondness for the occasional singer-songwriter-with-edge/charm type, and Veirs fits the bill. Plus, she's adorable and that never hurts. You may even have heard her and not be aware of it -- she's the lovely female voice on "Yankee Bayonet" from The Decemberists' Crane Wife album. Veirs will be in town touring to promote her latest release, Saltbreakers. Lake opens.

Laura Veirs - Wandering Kind [from Saltbreakers]
Laura Veirs - Pink Light [from Saltbreakers]

Oh, and Bright Eyes/Gillian Welch is Friday at the Fox. Among the other great events this weekend are The Preakness at the 11:11 Teahouse (Saturday night) and the Two Sheds anniversary party at The EARL featuring Silent Kids, Jupiter Watts, An Epic At Best, and Blake Rainey & His Demons that same evening. Surely no excuse for being bored Saturday in ATL...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm more excited about seeing Laura Veirs than I have been about any other show so far this year. See you there!

11:11 PM

 
Blogger Leah [Not Basic] said...

Way too much going on this weekend.

12:22 PM

 
Blogger Raine said...

I just saw Laura Veirs tonight in Arlington, Va. Great show! I hear she's opening for the Decemberists later this year.

2:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home