Sunday, October 14

The Greencards


With all the indie stuff that comes my way these days, I don't take much time for other genres. That's a darn shame. A friend was telling me how great The Greencards were at a recent Chattanooga bluegrass festival, so I thought I'd give them a fresh listen. I'm pleased to see they'll hit Atlanta's Variety Playhouse on February 22.

The Greencards are made up of two Australians and an Englishman based in Austin, Texas, (hence the name) whose style is at the intersection of pop, bluegrass, and country. They've been widely praised for the past few years, including from such mainstream outlets as Rolling Stone and Country Music Television. Oh, and Paste and Creative Loafing too. They've also done a series of dates opening for Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson. You get the picture -- they're hardly obscure, but a quick check of elbo.ws reveals they haven't gotten much blog attention. Their current album, Viridian, was released back in March.

The Greencards - Time [from Weather and Water]
The Greencards - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover [Paul Simon; live 5-24-2007]

For more info and tour dates, see their Myspace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home