Thursday, August 23

Polishing a turd, with gusto


So, The Decemberists announced a really cool tour today in which they'll play multiple nights in several cities. Some shows will be designated to showcase their longer, prog-style material while others will showcase their shorter, poppier stuff. It's not coming near Atlanta/Athens though, so whatever.

In addition, they announced the release of a new EP and I'm surprisingly not looking forward to it at all. Their Perfect Crime #2 EP will feature several remixes (bleh) of my least favorite song in their catalog, "The Perfect Crime #2" from The Crane Wife. As you can probably tell, I'm underwhelmed. I thought that I might be jumping the gun with the negativity, but now that I've heard the first track released to the public I'm even less enthused. Here 'tis:

The Decemberists - The Perfect Crime #2 (Junior Boys remix) [at YouSendIt]

The track will be up for seven days. At least the cover art for the EP is nifty. Maybe it'll be better than I expect. I sure hope so.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Perfect Crime #2 is a brilliant song.... One of the very first ones to become a favorite for me.....

What is wrong with it?

9:39 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I thing it's overly repetitive, and it's the lone skip-track on The Crane Wife. Perhaps if it were two minutes shorter I wouldn't find it so annoying.

Mostly I guess I can't stand the chorus.

9:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely with Rich about 'PC2'. It is easily my least favorite Decemberists song. It almost sounds like Capitol got some Todd Rundgrenesque producer to create a radio friendly hit. I also tend to skip listening to it.

11:54 PM

 
Blogger The Falconer said...

the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
the perfect
...crime

yeah, I think I'll pass on multiple remixes of that.

12:08 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I hated the song at first, and now it's one of my favorites of the album. Seeing it live really helped. And also just getting into the lyrics helped as well. My least favorite song of their catalog is When the War Came.

10:59 PM

 
Blogger Charles said...

Oh, yuck yuck yuck.

Probably my least favorite song they've ever done (only competition is "When the War Came"). And now remixes of it?

Ewwwwwww.

Why can't we have three or four more Crane Wives instead. I bet The Crane Wife 7 would be fantastic.

12:34 AM

 
Blogger pigeoncat said...

How do you polish a turd WITHOUT gusto?

11:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home