Friday, March 31

Irving / Athens this weekend

L.A.-based quintet Irving doesn't sound at all like an act from the City of Angels. At least my glam/punk stereotype of one. If you read music blogs regularly you've probably seen them mentioned time and again, but this is the first they've appeared on C&T. I think they're more than worth the space. They play indie pop/rock along the lines of The Beatles (am I allowed to compare bands to the Beatles?), Belle and Sebastian, or Jens Lekman.

The most difficult part of authoring this post, honestly, has been to select which tracks to post. I seem to feel about Irving how Confessions of a Music Addict feels about The Films -- each new track I hear becomes my favorite. However, I found that three tracks I rather liked are hosted on the Eenie Meenie site. Those are linked below. Their new album Death in the Garden, Blood on the Flowers is due out April 4.

Irving - Situation
Irving - Turn of the Century
Irving - I Can't Fall in Love

They are currently in the middle of a lengthy tour, and you can see the dates (and check out more tracks) on their MySpace page. You can pre-order their forthcoming album from Insound.

Notably (I guess), their video for "Situation" will also debut on the Subterranean show (I've never seen) on MTV2 (which I don't have) this weekend. Apparently it's on April 2 at midnight, which I guess means late at night on Saturday. Like, during SNL. I think. You can also view it on their homepage. It's kinda cool -- reminds me of those recent Of Montreal videos I posted, only if they had a bit more of a budget to work with.

-------------------------

Yesterday I neglected to mention a couple shows of note in Athens, GA, this weekend:

Psychic Hearts 7" release party tonight (3/31) at Caledonia Lounge:


Also in Athens:
3/31 I Am The World Trade Center/The Whigs @ 40 Watt
4/01 Russian Spy Camera, Cars Can be Blue, Subersivo, Heros Severum @ Tasty World

If there's more going on, just say so in the comments. Hope to see some of you out and about this weekend. Spring has sprung in Georgia, and it's downright gorgeous. Have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah [Not Basic] said...

I'm going to have to check out Irving...thanks for the heads up.

12:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, I looked into it, and as it turns out, you're not allowed to compare bands to the beatles.

7:01 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Thanks tyler. Guess that settles that. Also, whomever is given the duty to strap me in that chair described in the Pfork thingy, please be gentle. That whole bowel thing sounds nasty.

1:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

пыдарасы

9:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home