Friday, April 7

Guns n' Roses - Live at CBGB, Oct. 30, 1987

Good thing I never claimed to have any indie cred, because this post would have wiped it out for good.

So it seems the world is anxiously awaiting the release of the forthcoming Guns 'n Roses album, Chinese Democracy. I will fully admit to being somewhat curious about the release. The two volumes of Use Your Illusion were among the first CD's I ever bought for myself (thanks BMG!) and I remember watching the Gn'R videos from that era repeatedly on MTV. Yes kids, they actually used to show music videos on that steaming pile of a channel.

Back on topic, I can understand why some people are looking forward to Chinese Democracy. Gn'R used to be one hell of a rock band. This post, however, showcases them outside of a "rock" environment. Here we have the band playing a short acoustic set at NYC's legendary CBGB in the fall of 1987, before the classic Lies album (1988) had even hit stores. Can you believe this was nearly 20 years ago? Wow.

Guns n' Roses
October 30, 1987
CBGB, New York City

1. One in a Million
2. Used to Love Her
3. Patience
4. Mr. Brownstone
5. Move to the City


Also, it appears that they may have opened the show with "You're Crazy" but it didn't find its way onto my bootleg recording. Hmm. If you have it, please send it along. Please?

Gothamist has pointers to YouTube videos from the show.

I have some more rare Gn'R on the hard drive that I can share if there's any interest. Speak up, people.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the topic of Guns N' Roses videos, I recently downloaded the "November Rain Trilogy"... They sure don't make videos like those anymore, everyone knows the sheer awesomness that is November Rain but the other 2 rock just as hard.

Like Civil War, the bit when Slash is racing in a classic white Mustang, with a cute girl in the passenger seat, severely bitching him and throwing kicks and punches his way. So he takes the obvious course of action and drives her over a cliff! Then we see him at the barrier where the car left the road, playing a few wellchosen notes over the burning wreck below, before he throws his guitar over the cliff as well!

Or Estranged when Axl getting saved by dolphins (dont ask), and then Slash rises out of the water, rocking harder than 99% of mankind could ever aspire to.

I need to upload these to mytube sometime

1:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Urgh, when I said Civil War I meant Don't Cry...

I blame the lateness of the hour

1:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! :)

Some Chinese Democracy tracks have been leaked on the net, I like what I've heard so far.

2:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Currents...
They're a band I found out about via one of those music torrent sites. There really isn't much info available online about Currents aside from the following links...

http://www.myspace.com/currentstheband

http://www.airwavesmusic.com/listen.html
(a downloadable mp3)

http://www.klicktrack.com/shop/release.jsp?cp=117
(you can stream samples of all tracks)

11:47 AM

 
Blogger Leah [Not Basic] said...

I love Patience.

1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being the child of the 80's that i am, i still hold G n' R in some high regard. me thinks that if the Illusions discs were condensed into one it could have been a classic, but sadly it was not. while they both have their redeeming qualities, he could have used an editor. GNR Lies and Appetite still kill though.

4:48 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

I think it gives you more cred to admit it!! I love G n' R (so much so that I have 2 copies of Appetite on vinyl as well as on CD).

Thanks for posting these Rich!

4:56 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Awesome, awesome stuff. Thanks for posting it! And of course there's interest in more! How couldn't there be! You don't get more cred than GNR.

11:43 AM

 
Blogger Eric said...

Great stuff! Who doesn't love GnR?

1:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Thanks!

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Wild said...

Check out "Don't Move to the City" by ho-hum

http://www.playadel.com/mp3/city.mp3

1:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home