Thursday, June 29

A farewell to A Fir-Ju Well

Today, C&T features a guest post by Paulie from Inside the Perimeter. While Paulie maintains his own fine Atlanta blog, I asked him to write something to commemorate the final show of local stalwarts A Fir-Ju Well. They're playing their final gig this Saturday night at The EARL (with support from Sovus Radio and Explorers Club). This one will sell out, so I suggest buying tix in advance if you plan to go (click on the monkey at The EARL's site). On to Paulie's post...

It's been a little over a year since I started my crusade to tell people that A Fir-Ju Well was Atlanta's best "local" band since Dayroom. When I'd tell people about the band, they immediately had a sense of familiarity but didn't know why; perhaps A Fir-Ju Well's viral marketing scheme was the reason:


I saw A Fir-Ju Well at least three times in 2005, any more and I feared that would be deemed a stalker and issued a restraining order. I will be seeing A Fir-Ju Well for the first time this year on July 1st at The Earl and it's a good thing because this show will be their final effort.

In the past I've likened A Fir-Ju Well's live performances to (pardon my lack of PC'ness here) a Chinese fire drill; they were playing a public game of musical chairs. My only beef with their live shows was that I thought that the sets were too short and I always left wanting more.

In the five-year history of the band, brothers Nick and Peter Furgiuele, Pete DeLorenzo, and Matt McCalvin have managed to produce an EP (The Dangerous Life of Insects) and two LPs (2003's El Torero and 2004's Absolutely). These records contained the type of jangly, psychedelic, almost-jam-session indie rock that I've come to know as "their sound." I will never say that A Fir-Ju Well was the greatest band to take the stage, but I will say that I will miss their music greatly.

A Fir-Ju Well - Overfed
A Fir-Ju Well - No Man

You can purchase A Fir-Ju Well's Absolutely from International Hits.

I bid you a fond farewell A Fir-Ju Well...

17 Comments:

Blogger Andisheh Nouraee said...

As a former Chinese Fire Marshall, I'm outraged by your comments.

Good band, though.

9:15 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

It's Paulie's fault! Heh.

9:45 AM

 
Blogger Sloan Simpson said...

Hey Rich, are these dudes cool with you recording them? I've never seen 'em, and think since this is their last show, maybe I should. And you know me, I travel with mics most of the time . . .

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Sloan, they sure are. In fact, I bet they'd appreciate it. It would also be really cool since I don't think I'm gonna make it to tape. I'll most likely be at the chamber music festival in Madison, GA, on Saturday night.

10:49 AM

 
Blogger Sloan Simpson said...

Good deal, if I'm in town I'll go do it.

10:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a good article in the new creative loafing.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A90474

12:33 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Thanks for that, Chris. Very interesting. I'd heard some of those rumors too. Huh. Guess we'll see what happens.

12:40 PM

 
Blogger jonder said...

I have heard rumors recently that both Heros Severum and the Tom Collins have broken up. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Rich, I remember Dayroom! I really wish I had their song "X" on something other than the compilation cassette where I first heard it, because that tape's gone bad.

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I think I have some Dayroom tracks around on Athfest comps. Have to check when I go to my apartment. Haven't been there since last weekend.

I'm pretty sure Tom Collins broke up. Right? Don't know about Heros Severum. Anybody?

1:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine (Adam's wife) said some of the memebers will be forming other bands. I don't know that much about AFJW. I did read about Heros Severum I think in the Flagpole.
Hey Sloan, I didn't know your last name! What's up?
I'm going to the Buzzcocks in Athens tonight. A bunch of us from the Atl will be there.
Amy Meacham

2:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got my tickets, I've been trying to see these guys forever but something always comes up. Going to make it this time though.

3:33 PM

 
Blogger Sloan Simpson said...

Heros Severum was listed as "final show" for Athfest. And Craig from The Tom Collins confirmed their breakup to me personally . . .

4:16 PM

 
Blogger Fat Asian Baby said...

heros severum's athfest show was supposedly the last but they might play cmj or something. they're just reforming as a new band with an equally bad name because they want to take the band in a different direction musically.

4:27 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Well, if Heros Severum is looking for another equally bad name I hear "A Fir-Ju Well" will be available soon.

4:34 PM

 
Blogger Paulie said...

Perhaps they can call themselves "The New Originals."

Had AFJW's management ever gotten back to me perhaps I could have included this sort of information in my piece too. Meh, who am I kidding I'm just another software geek with a blog...

10:54 PM

 
Blogger jonder said...

Thanks, Sloan and FAB.
Heros Severum :-)
The Tom Collins :-(

8:21 AM

 
Blogger ModusTheOperandi said...

here you go:

http://www.myspace.com/thegringostars

whee.

9:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home