Wednesday, March 14

Bruce Springsteen - "Twist and Shout" (live August 1975)

As some of you may have noticed, I've been unable to tend to the blog this week. I had very limited online access while housesitting over the last week, and now that I'm back in my own place I've been swamped with academic matters. Still, it looks like I'll be leaving momentarily to hit the Band of Horses/Cary Ann Hearst/Arizona show at The EARL. I'd feel bad about not posting to pimp the show, but it's been sold out forever. So... oh well. Perhaps I'll revisit Cary Ann and/or Arizona in the near future to make up for it.

On another note, I've been fortunate enough recently to get ahold of some really nice older shows by artists in Atlanta. While I have a moment, I thought I'd share a choice nugget from one of those. Here's a spirited rendition of "Twist and Shout" performed by The Boss right about the time Born to Run was about to hit store shelves.

Bruce Springsteen - Twist and Shout (live 8-23-1975 @ The Electric Ballroom, Atlanta)

So, where the heck was the Electric Ballroom? I've never even heard of the place, but a quick Google search reveals it hosted a lot of big shows in the 1970s. Anybody?

9 Comments:

Blogger Sloan Simpson said...

Was it not in/near the Georgian Terrace?

10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds right. I know in the 70s before I moved here it was a huge legend, and Alex Cooley, the greatest promoter ever, did a lot of shows there. Looking forward to hearing the file.

7:37 AM

 
Blogger AmyM said...

I think that was also known as the Agora Ballroom, which was across the street from the Fox. I saw everybody there- The Psychedelic Furs, English Beat, Iggy Pop, XTC, the Pretenders, REM, Gang of Four, U2, Black Uhuru, B 52's, X, Public Image, Ltd., the Ramones and even Rodney Dangerfield. I promoted BowWowWow there. It was a step between small clubs and the Fox for bands. (I missed the Talking Heads and Clash there, but caught them when they played the Fox.) It has many happy memories for me and it was such a cool venue!

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Amy, I am so jealous of you right now. Jeez.

So where across the street from the Fox? Has the building been torn down then? I can't picture what over there at Ponce & Peachtree might have been a venue off the top of my head.

2:13 PM

 
Blogger AmyM said...

It was downstairs in the Georgian Terrace. I remember the red carpets. There was a balcony upstairs...

3:31 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

There was another Electric Ballrom and I believe it was out on Buford Highway somewhere. I saw Sonic Youth, Superchunk and missed seeing the Bad Brains play there in the early 90's

4:26 PM

 
Blogger AmyM said...

Wasn't that the International Ballroom? I saw Siouxsie and the Banshees and Jane's Addiction shows there. Not nearly as nice a venue, though.

8:24 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Doh! you're right. I'll shut up now. It was a real dump actually

1:16 PM

 
Blogger AmyM said...

It's weird that they called it a ballroom....

2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home