Thursday, June 21

The hits keep on coming

What appears to be Spin's final Bonnaroo post, a review of Martha Wainwright and Widespread Panic, is now online. This is so awesome.

It was an unusually poignant and reverent Sunday (June 17) at Bonnaroo this year. As debaucherous and overwhelming as a festival weekend can be, the candor of a few of the day's acts recalled the simpler, earlier time where festival culture was born. In a celebration of respect for the past, recognition of the present, and lunging towards the future, Sunday was a time for today's classics to shine.

A little overdone, but not bad. I'm mostly with her.

With the addition of guitar virtuoso Jimmy Herring, Panic's roster was stronger than ever...

I'm no Panic fan, but that's pretty insensitive. I know there was a guy between, but Herring is "replacing" a dude (Michael Houser) who was loved by fans and died of pancreatic cancer at age 40. Bad form. No reflection on Herring, who by all accounts is a first-class gent.

R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" blared from the stage speakers as the crowd trickled out of Centeroo and all we were left with was the unexplainable and irreplaceable experiences of another year in musical utopia where it's hot in the sun and hot onstage as well. With the performers of today perpetuating the culture of the past, Sunday night was the end of our Bonnaroo world and we knew it -- but it sure was fine.

Bestest show ever!!1!11! OMG!

Here's hoping they tone it down next year and send some correspondents with actual critical prowess. Either that or just syndicate the Kellie Pickler tour message board, because I'm pretty sure the content would match up about eighty percent of the time.

I'm done with this. Thanks for humoring me. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Black Keys and Dinosaur Jr. show tonight at Tabernacle.

7 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Re: Herring v. Houser, oddly, my hardcore Panic fan friends think the same thing. I don't think they're taking anything away from Houser, but they LOVE Herring.

10:22 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Interesting. I obviously have no opinion on the matter. I just couldn't write what's printed above because of the circumstances of Houser's departure, you know? That might make me a wuss, but that's alright.

10:32 AM

 
Blogger goldenfiddle said...

As the band launched into the legendary favorite "Driving Song," 21-year-old festival staff member Matt Baker exclaimed, "This is the last thing I was expecting. I didn't even know they played this song live anymore!"

are you fucking kidding me, matt baker?

11:19 AM

 
Blogger AmyM said...

My Panic fanatic friends are going nutso with praise and downloads about the Gov't Mule 'Roo show, and have given mild praise to Panic. Everyone loves Herring (including me, such a nice guy, too) so I guess it's not disrespectful to Houser to be happy abut him being in the band. I've always enjoyed the Mule (a guilty pleasure) but find Panic boring, but that's just my personal taste.

11:56 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I'm guessing Matt isn't exactly a veteran Spreadhead.

12:02 PM

 
Blogger leenie said...

holy crap-- spin's take on martha wainwright's set couldn't have been farther off...she botched at least half of her songs, restarting often three or four times, and mispronounced her bass players name (he quietly corrected her when she said it wrong the second time)...

i know she's been away for a while, but when she said "i was trying to remember some songs last night in my hotel to play for you all" it became clear she didn't really care. not to be a negative nancy, but it was disappointing, to say the least.

11:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Herring v. Houser, oddly, my hardcore Panic fan friends think the same thing. I don't think they're taking anything away from Houser, but they LOVE Herring.

Myself and many other hardcore fans/friends disagree. It will never be the same, or as good honestly, without Houser in my opinion. Herring is great for them, a good fit, but he doesn't hold a candle to the person that laid down the most integral parts of the songs from the get-go. But hats off to them for trying. I knew we'd start seeing comments like this writer's eventually, as Houser had a sound that you either loved or hated...makes me sad, honestly..but that's life in the major leagues I guess.

11:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home