Wednesday, September 5

Rewind: Revisiting 'Coffee and Cigarettes'

The 2003 Jim Jarmusch film Coffee and Cigarettes remains, to this day, one of the most maddenly uneven flicks I've seen in years. That said, upon rewatching it this week I realized I still can't turn away while it's on. The awkward moments, the deadpan humor, the bizarre interactions... where else will you see RZA and GZA hang out with Bill Murray, or Jack and Meg White discuss the merits of Nikola Tesla? The most captivating 10 minutes, however, is probably the unlikely pairing of Iggy Pop and Tom Waits. Talk about uncomfortable...


Random trivia: Although Coffee and Cigarettes was released in 2003, the Iggy Pop-Tom Waits segment was filmed in 1992 (source: IMDB).

3 Comments:

Blogger Drive A Faster Car said...

That is absolutely my favorite short in the entire film. Great movie. And that is pretty interesting. Did IMDB mention what the original intent of the filming was?

9:44 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I know Jarmusch's filmography lists a few installments of C&C, so I presume each of the earliest efforts (the one with Stephen Wright from 1986 or something is another) was released or shown independently. I think there were 11 segments in the feature, with maybe 3 that originally stood alone.

9:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really was an odd, odd film. There were some great bits but I changed from 'great art' to 'pointless rubbish' and back roughly once every five minutes.

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home