Thursday, April 13

Belle and Sebastian live covers

So I have a number of bands to post about and several of my recent recordings to make available (Mates of State, Destroyer, Mag Elec Co., Selmanaires, SSLYBY, The Whigs, Voxtrot, Murder Beach, Man Man, The Eames Era, Luigi, etc., etc.) but not a lot of time to do so at the moment. I'll do my best in what time I have. Today, however, I'm going to offer just a quick treat. Because they're sitting on my HDD, I'm offering a selection of live covers by Belle and Sebastian.

Belle and Sebastian - Gonna Fly Now [Rocky theme]
Belle and Sebastian - Here Comes the Sun [Beatles cover]
Belle and Sebastian - Space Oddity [David Bowie cover]
Belle and Sebastian - Oliver's Army [Elvis Costello cover]
Belle and Sebastian - Video Killed the Radio Star [Buggles cover]
Belle and Sebastian - The Kids Are Alright [The Who cover]
Belle and Sebastian - Billie Jean [Michael Jackson cover]
Belle and Sebastian - The Boy with the Thorn in His Side [Smiths cover]

All are live, and they vary in quality. However, I think they're all quite listenable. "Billie Jean" may suffer the most from screaming fans and the like, but I just had to include it.

Speaking of "Billie Jean"... how great was this video?



MJ sure was a badass back in the day. Damn.

UPDATE: Since Alex mentioned it in the comments, here's another:

Belle and Sebastian - Stayin' Alive [Bee Gees cover]

12 Comments:

Blogger The Game said...

Grr, you beat me to posting some of these! You missed B&S's sweet cover of Staying Alive by the Beegees though.

12:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gonna fly now is my unofficial theme song.

9:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this B&S shizzle......greatness Richard, greatness. MJ in the day was exceptional......too bad he's gone.
Thanks for the tracks Guest Gigger Evil Monkey Man!

10:43 AM

 
Blogger Leah [Not Basic] said...

I love love loved that video. I loved MJ, too. I wish he was still black.

12:25 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

And sane. Sane would be good too.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger buck said...

Wonderful! B&S are so amazing. Have you heard their cover of Whiskey in a Jar?

http://www.box.net/public/u696yi9gfd

11:05 AM

 
Blogger Dinah said...

Thank you! I love these songs.

11:18 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I also have some covers,

Gigantic - Pixies
Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

and a few others that I didn't notice, send me a message or something if you are interested.

(check out my blog too! blastingfonda.blogspot.com)

10:46 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Thanks Jacob, I have those too. Perhaps a second edition of B&S covers would be called for?

1:26 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

thank you! covers are so much fun...

2:03 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Rimorin said...

I'm sorry if I'm being completely dense, but are there links to these covers? I don't see any.

2:06 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

There were two years ago, but not now. This post is from April 2006.

8:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home