Wednesday, February 21

The Coathangers, The 63 Crayons, and others @ Lenny's on Thursday, 2/22

This Thursday night (2/22) there's a really nice bill at Lenny's here in Atlanta. As part of their series of "Punk Rock Thursdays" that venue has assembled a lineup including four local bands and a special visitor from Athens. I haven't quite been able to figure out the order in which the artists will appear, but the evening will include sets by The Hiss, The Coathangers, The 63 Crayons, Sealions, and Chopper. While The Hiss are a local mainstay and both Sealions and Chopper are new to me, I'm most interested in seeing The Coathangers and The 63 Crayons.

The Coathangers are an all-girl punk band from here in Atlanta. While they've been getting some attention lately, I've somehow managed not to stumble into one of their shows just yet. From what I can tell, their catalog appears to consist of catchy punk/pop with a fair share of the angry and risque. I suppose you could probably guess that based on the song titles below. Whatever the case, I've been listening to these tracks way too much.

Oh, and just consider all of these Not Safe For Work. For real, yo.

The Coathangers - Parking Lot
The Coathangers - Don't Touch My Shit
The Coathangers - Shut Tha Fuck Up
The Coathangers - Nestle in My Boobies

Mmmmm.... Nestle.

Athens band The 63 Crayons are in town supporting their new release, Spoils for Survivors (2/20), which has been previously featured here on C&T. It was officially released just yesterday. While I'd characterize 63 Crayons as a psych-pop act before I'd consider them punk, I'll take 'em on whatever bill I can get 'em.

The 63 Crayons - Save Us [from Spoils for Survivors]
The 63 Crayons - Rocketship [from Good People]
The 63 Crayons - Mrs. Brewster [from Good People]

I'll also note that 63 Crayons were the third band ever featured here on Cable & Tweed. Ah, memories. If you're at the show, say hi to the guy with glasses with a mic stand. Odds are it's yours truly.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich,
Good meeting you last night and I can't wait to hear the recordings you got. I'll keep you in the loop as to upcoming shows that we have and that ticket giveaway is a great idea.
Mike/Pistolero#bullets.com

9:59 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Back at ya Mike. We'll see how that Black Lips tape is in the end. I'm gonna hand it off to the Rob's House Records guys to see if they can master it. I'm not satisfied enough with it at the moment to release tracks.

10:04 AM

 
Blogger tolar said...

Rich, I had the good fortune to come across the Coathangers when they opened up for Blondie's poetry reading on Valentine's Day at the Earl. I hadn't heard of them before, so wasn't expecting much. But they put on a helluva show. I'm definietly going to try and make it tomorrow nite .. thanks!

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Nice, please do say hello. I have no idea how many times we've probably been in the same room, but it's a lot.

6:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would really like Radiofire.net. It is a free online radio station that allows bands to post their music and fans to listen for free. Check it out!

Radiofire.net

6:33 PM

 
Blogger tolar said...

alas! i didnt make it out tonite. how was it?

12:23 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

IT WAS AWESOME.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be seeing The Coathangers fairly often. Totally fun.

2:16 AM

 
Blogger Matthew said...

Sorry, it's taken me ages to get the time to listen to this - LOVE the 63 Crayons. Distorted indie dancefloor pop - superb!

8:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home