Tuesday, March 27

Boddicker - Big Lionhearted and the Gallant Man


If he's not yet on your radar, I'd say it's time that you start paying attention to Boddicker. Hailing from Oxford, Mississippi, Caleb Boddicker has been making music since his teenage years and made fans of such artists as Pinback and Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse. The latter will come as little surprise after sampling Boddicker's material -- it seems relatively apparent that Brock & co. are his primary influences.

Boddicker's forthcoming Big Lionhearted and the Gallant Man was produced by Brian Deck, the man who also produced The Moon and Antarctica, Brock's Ugly Casanova project, and releases from Holopaw, Fruit Bats, and Chin Up Chin Up. After a couple of initial listens, I'm impressed with this youngster. While much of it does echo the brand of dissonant rock emanating from the Pacific northwest, Boddicker's sincerity and experimentation with soundscapes and instrumentation (whether due to Deck's influence or not) make it an interesting, captivating listen.

I should add that a few of Boddicker's songs tug at my heartstrings a bit too -- my Missouri home (pre-Atlanta) is/was right on I-55, just off the Mississippi River. Not that I'm nostalgic for those rural surroundings, but it's nice to hear an homage to something from your own experience. I imagine you know what I mean.

Boddicker - Pretty Baby (Part I)
Boddicker - Mississippi Beautiful, You Know I Love You
Boddicker - Interstate 55

Boddicker's Big Lionhearted and the Gallant Man is due in May on Banter Records.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in '03-04 Caleb sold copies of his homemade CDR on Ebay for $5 to raise money for college. Most of the time he listed it with some band he was influenced by... such as Modest Mouse. I bought one out of curiosity and he definitely had some talent, even in high school. I always wondered what happened to him and if he ever raised enough money for school.

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Niiiiice. James, you're always ahead of the curve. His bio online says he sold like 1000 of those things. First I'd heard of it was when I was reading his bio.

How about sending a brother a .zip of that old CDR? :-D

Oh, and thanks a TON for what you sent yesterday. Woo!

4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try and do that this evening. The other thing I forgot to mention was that each copy he sold was in a unique sleeve with artwork he made on that old Microsoft Paint program. Totally RADICAL!

Glad you like The Shaky Hands stuff. Seems like the blogging world is catching on. Sorry I don't have more info on the song titles... that's just how they were given to me. They're very mysterious fellows.

4:23 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Reminds me of when I e-mailed with Blitzen Trapper re: some song titles that one time. They sent me a few strange cryptic responses and I just gave up. Heh.

4:27 PM

 
Blogger aa said...

definitely worth checking out when two of my favorite artists are semi-mentioned in the album title...

ferraby lionheart & two gallants.

10:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home