Wednesday, June 6

Thundercats, Ho!


That 1980s revival just keeps on coming. Transformers hits movie theaters in July, and now Superhero Hype is reporting that Warner Bros. has optioned a script for a live action CGI-animated Thundercats movie. The original cartoon aired from 1985-87, and if you're about my age you probably watched it more than a few times. From the blurb:


Thundercats revolves around a group of humanoid cats (with feline names like Lion-O, Tygra, Panthro and Cheetara) who must flee their planet of Thundera after it's destroyed. Once crash-landing on another planet, Third Earth, they must thwart Mumm-Ra, an evil sorcerer, bent on killing them off.

Sopocy has written the script as an origin story expanding on the major heroes and villains from the animated series, with the plot focusing on Lion-O coming of age as the leader of the Thundercats.

This one frightens me a bit, as I'm not sure how they plan to dress up actors as Thundercats without looking ridiculous (this fan film isn't reassuring me much). Same goes for the new He-Man movie in the works. Then again, Beast looked just fine in X-Men 3. I gotta guess that my boy Snarf will be CGI. No director or cast is yet attached, so we'll see what happens. I'd consult my Sword of Omens but I seem to have misplaced it.

Thundercats theme

You can see what I think is the cartoon's original opening segment on YouTube. Not quite as entertaining as Family Guy's Thundercats moment, but probably more educational.

Update: The story now notes it would be CGI-animated rather than live action. Hmm...

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

NO! Just no to a live action Thundercats. Another He-Man movie is not so terrible though. Come on now, 80's Masters of the Universe was awesome hahaha.

3:48 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Wait, wait, wait. The MotU cartoon or movie? Because that movie... damn. By the way, it also featured a young Courteney Cox. Don't ask me how she's been mentioned here twice in two days.

4:11 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

the movie of course! Dolph Lundgren IS He-Man.

5:25 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker.

Christopher Reeve is Superman.

Paul Reubens is Pee-Wee Herman.

Dolph Lungren is Ivan Drago, but once dressed up as a faux He-Man.

For reals.

10:07 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

since my last comment, i've been sucked into youtube watching 80's cartoon intros for the past 3 hours.

i hate myself for following your thundercat links.

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home