Sunday, December 10

This Ain't No Real Orchestra, Manchester

by Paulie [eatl/ga]

I stumbled upon Manchester Orchestra one evening last March at Smith's Olde Bar when they were on the same bill as Sovus Radio (the band I was there to see). I love it when I get lucky. That night Manchester Orchestra was playing to support their EP "You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm, But Brilliance Needs A Good Editor." I enjoyed their set so much that I purchased a copy on my way out the door.

I was able to see Manchester Orchestra perform live only once since that night and along with songs from "YBIBBBNaGE" they performed some of the material from their (then unreleased) CD "I Am Like A Virgin Losing A Child." I liked what I heard then, I like what I hear now.

"I Am Like A Virgin Losing A Child", which was released in early October (I missed the memo), contains ten new songs and a slightly-reworked version of "Alice And Interiors" which was originally on "YBIBBBNaGE." The CD builds on what was originally laid out in "YBIBBBNaGE" with songs ranging from near a cappella to hard driving rock. Comparisons of Manchester Orchestra's sound to that of Death Cab For Cutie and Bright Eyes have been made (some even by yours truly), but with the release of "I Am Like A Virgin Losing A Child" you can see that Manchester Orchestra is more interested in carving out their own path than being a follower.

I Am Like A Virgin Losing A Child
1. Wolves At Night
2. Now That You're Home [mp3]
3. The Neighborhood Is Bleeding
4. I Can Feel Your Pain
5. Where Have You Been?
6. I Can Barely Breathe
7. Sleeper 1972
8. Golden Ticket [mp3]
9. Alice And Interiors
10. Don't Let Them See You Cry
11. Colly Strings

"I Am Like A Virgin Losing A Child" is available either digitally or at a friendly local (Atlanta) music store such as Criminal Records -- where I happened to purchase my copy. [It can also be purchased online directly from Criminal for $9.99. - Rich]

The current lineup of Manchester Orchestra (Andy Hull, Jonathan Corley, Chris Freeman, Jeremaih Edmond) is currently on tour supporting "I Am Like A Virgin Losing A Child." If you are reading this on the day it was posted (December 10th) you can see them tonight at The 585 with Colour Revolt. If you are reading this at a later date I suggest checking out their MySpace page for tour updates.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

"I love it when I get lucky."

Tee-hee.

11:00 AM

 
Blogger Lizzy said...

Rich, I LOVE Sovus Radio. They sent me a demo disc awhile back...but they haven't released anything official yet, right? let me know!

8:48 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Hey Lizzy -- just e-mailed back and forth with Sovus Radio, and they confirmed there's nothing official yet. I didn't think so. They do have something in the works though. I'll send along any further details as I get 'em.

9:32 PM

 
Blogger Leah [Not Basic] said...

I was at that show to see Sovus, as well.

MO = Yawn. But that's not a secret coming from me.

PS - Sovus has been recording for months. They should probably focus on finishing that up and stop playing out every week. IMHO.

10:17 AM

 
Blogger Fat Asian Baby said...

also FYI, John Dance, formerly the guitar key boardy dude from Sovus Radio, is now the guitar key boardy dude in Manchester Orchestra.
clever.

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home