Thursday, October 12

I miss The Selmanaires and The Preakness


Due to my current crushing workload and self-imposed exile from local shenanigans, I've missed out on a lot of ATL music fun lately. I'm bummed about it, but there's no way around it. I even gave away my Built to Spill tix for Friday because I can't go. Sigh.

Two of the local bands I'm really missing, The Selmanaires and The Preakness, have shows coming up next weekend and I hope to catch at least one. The Selmanaires are at 10 High on Friday, 10/20, and The Preakness will be opening for Portastatic at The EARL on Saturday, 10/21. Each of these bands has gotten some hype here before, and each appeared on the C&T Atlanta mix tapes back in July (The Selmanaires on the ATL rock mix tape, and The Preakness on the ATL indie pop/rock edition).

Here are a few tracks from The Selmanaires, who I'm sure will turn 10 High into a sweaty, rockin' mess. That place ain't so big, and they bring the crowd whenever they play.

The Selmanaires - Selmanaire Rock

The Selmanaires - In the Direction of Yes
The Selmanaires - GMAFB (demo)

The Selmanaires are on MySpace.

Here are the basement demos by The Preakness, capturing their early raw sound. Pretty lo-fi, but they're nice little indie pop/rock tracks:

The Preakness - Air Traffic
The Preakness - What They're Saying
The Preakness - This Drive
The Preakness - I Thought I Was in Control

The Preakness are on MySpace.

Also, for the ATL locals, Snowden will be playing a set on the Georgia Music Show on WRAS 88.5 tonight (Thursday) at 6pm. Tune in, yo.

Any other local bands impressing lately? Enquiring minds want to know.

FYI: EZarchive is being flaky right now, so the files hosted there may or may not be available. Give it a shot. If you can see Lloyd and the masthead above, things are probably good to go.

6 Comments:

Blogger chuck said...

i know how you feel, rich. i haven't been out in six weeks, thanks mainly to a never ending stream of work. i can't even find time to listen to new music (or any music for that matter). call it the curse of 30.

8:02 AM

 
Blogger Paulie said...

Rich, if you see me at the Selmanaires show say hey and I'll get you a beer. Sounds like you could use one.

Cheers!

10:42 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

I'm 27, Chuck. So I guess I'm about on schedule.

Good deal, Paulie. I won't know until the time comes if I can actually venture out, but it would definitely be good for my mental health.

11:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you already give/sell your bts tickets?

i really need one for tomorrow night.

11:16 PM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Sure did. Gave 'em to a friend from Emory. Wow, I didn't realize it was a tough ticket.

12:30 AM

 
Blogger Rich said...

Some of my local faves, baby. You might wanna sample more of the stuff that was on those mix tapes. Most of the links should still work. I don't think I've cleared that stuff off my webspace yet.

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home